Windows & X11
Sometimes you have to work in Windows. But filesystems in Windows is far from Linux versions and their permission model. That could be a problem sometimes. In this case, you can use VM or WSL.
X-Servers for Windows:
- XMANAGER - too expensive;
- Cygwin/X - failed to run a remote app;
- Xming X Server for Windows - all icons in taskbar have the icon of XServer;
- MobaXterm - all icons in taskbar are the same as the first app you’ve launched and stack together, but it sets up all you need and has a remote terminal.
- VcXsrv Windows X Server - works perfect for me.
If you have HiDPI screen you need to tune both local Windows and remote Linux.
For Windows you should open “Properties” of shortcut to X-server -> “Compatibility” -> “Change high DPI settings” -> “Scaling performed by:” “Application”.
For Linux add into
export GDK_SCALE=2 > /dev/null 2>&1
IMHO if you are unable to use OS X and iTerm, Tilix is the best option.
add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/terminix # optionaly if you want latest releases apt install tilix dbus-x11 libsecret-1-0
I’ve also created a shortcut with settings for X-server configuration. To have proper scaling for HiDPI monitors you should run command